If you suspect a counterfeit note or have information about counterfeiting activity, please report it immediately to the U.S. Secret Service, or to your local police.
For your personal safety. . . PLEASE:
- Do not put yourself in danger.
- Do not return the bill to the passer.
- Delay the passer with some excuse, if possible.
- Observe the passer's description - and their companions' descriptions - and write down their vehicle license plate numbers if you can.
- Contact your local police department OR call your local U.S. Secret Service Office.
- Write your initials and date in the white border area of the suspected counterfeit note.
- DO NOT handle the counterfeit note. Place it inside a protective cover, a plastic bag, or envelope to protect it until you place it in the hands of an IDENTIFIED Secret Service Agent.
- Surrender the note or coin ONLY to a properly identified police officer or a Secret Service Special Agent, or mail it to your nearest U.S. Secret Service field office.
Please Note: There is no financial remuneration for the return of the counterfeit bill, but it is doing the "right thing" to help combat counterfeiting.