To view or print the PDF content on this page, download the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®.
IRS Oversight Board Public Forum
February 19, 2008
Department of the Treasury, Media Room
Welcome and Introductions: Paul Cherecwich, IRS Oversight Board Chair (1:00)
Panel 1: Innovative Outreach to Customers: How would you recommend the IRS do proactive, educational outreach to stakeholders more efficiently and effectively, and how would you measure the results? (1:15 –2:30)
Moderator: Deborah Wince-Smith, Board Member
- National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) , Bill Rys, Tax Counsel
- Council on Competitiveness, Edward J. Donnelly, Senior Fellow
- Taxpayer Advocacy Panel (TAP) , Henry A. Mosler, Chair
- National Society of Tax Professionals (NSTP) , Beanna J. Whitlock, Executive Director
- National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP) , Larry Gray, CPA, Spokesperson
Panel 2: The Congress is considering new legislation that would regulate the tax preparation industry, including registration, ethics, and competency testing, continuing professional education requirements, public awareness campaign, and an enforcement component. If the legislation passes, how would you recommend that a program be created that is effective, yet revenue neutral, and what impact would increased regulatory fees have upon your clients and taxpayers in general (2:30 – 3:45)
Moderator: Robert Tobias, Chair, IRSOB Operations Committee
- Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards , Kevin R. Keller, Chief Executive Officer
- Federation of Tax Administrators (FTA), Michael A. Addington, EA, Oregon Board of Tax Practitioners
- National Society of Accountants , John Ams, Exec. VP, Nat’l Soc’y of Accts.
- National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA), Frank Degen , EA, Past President and Spokesperson
- AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program, Bonnie Speedy, National Director
- National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP) , Larry Gray, CPA, Spokesperson*
*NATP submitted a written statement but did not participate in Panel 2.
Break (3:45 –4:00)
Panel 3: From your experience, discuss how your members’ organizations attract talent, and develop and retain key employees. What are their best practices for building future leaders? (4:00 – 5:15)
Moderator: Raymond T. Wagner, Jr., Chair, IRSOB Operations Support Committee
- The Tax Executives Institute (TEI) , Robert J. McDonough, TEI International President
- Manufacturers Alliance (MAPI) , Tracy Hollingsworth, Vice President, Finance
- Council for Electronic Revenue Communication Advancement (CERCA), Solly Thomas, Assoc. Partner, Human Capital Management, IBM Businesses Services
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) , Jeffrey R. Hoops, CPA, Chair, AICPA Tax Executive Committee
- National Treasury Employees Union (NTEU) , Colleen Kelley, President*
*NTEU submitted a written statement but did not participate.