On Thursday, the Department of the Treasury convened a counter-terrorist financing symposium, Ten Years Later: Progress and Challenges in Combating Terrorist Financing Since 9/11.
symposium included remarks from Secretary Geithner and Assistant to
the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism John O.
Brennan, and other current and former senior U.S. counterterrorism
officials, national security experts and private sector leaders to
discuss the accomplishments of the United States and international
community in combating the financing of terrorism in the decade since
9/11, and how we must adapt and refocus our efforts in the coming years.
The symposium provided a forum to discuss the current terrorist
financing landscape and catalyzed a dialogue about innovative policy
responses to combating terrorist financing.
For more information, please read:
8:45 AM EDT
WELCOMING REMARKS by Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David S. Cohen
9:05 AM EDT
PANEL 1: Ten Years Later: Today’s Terrorist Financing Landscape
Moderator: Treasury Assistant Secretary for Intelligence and Analysis Leslie Ireland
- Howard Mendelsohn, Senior Vice President, PNC Financial Services Group; former Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Intelligence and Analysis
- Matt Olsen, Director, National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC)
- Mike Smith, Director, United Nations Counterterrorism Executive Directorate
- Ken Wainstein, Partner, O’Melveny and Myers, LLP; former Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, and former Assistant Attorney General for National Security
10:10 AM EDT
Remarks by Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David S. Cohen
10:25 AM EDT
PANEL 2: Combating Terrorist Financing: Progress, Challenges and the Way Forward
Moderator: Treasury Assistant Secretary for Terrorist Financing Daniel Glaser
- Richard Barrett, Coordinator, United Nations Sanctions Implementation Monitoring Team
- Daniel Benjamin, Coordinator for Counterterroism, U.S. Department of State
- Frances Fragos Townsend, Senior Vice President, MacAndrews and Forbes Holdings; former Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism
- Stuart Levey, Senior Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations; former Under Secretary of the Treasury for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence
11:25 AM EDT
KEYNOTE ADDRESS by Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism John O. Brennan