Sign up for Ukraine-related Sanctions e-mail updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
OFAC has compiled hundreds of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about its sanctions programs and related policies. The link below sends the user to the entire list of OFAC's FAQs.
Sectoral Sanctions Identifications (SSI) List
The Sectoral Sanctions Identifications List includes persons determined by OFAC to be operating in sectors of the Russian economy identified by the Secretary of the Treasury pursuant to Executive Order 13662.
OFAC issues interpretive guidance on specific issues related to the sanctions programs it administers. These interpretations of OFAC policy are sometimes published in response to a public request for guidance or may be released proactively by OFAC in order to address a complex topic.
Applying for a Specific OFAC License
It may be in your and the U.S. government’s interest to authorize particular economic activity related to the Ukraine\Russia-related Sanctions. Visit the link below to apply for an OFAC license.
Guidance on OFAC Licensing Policy
Certain activities related to the Ukraine\Russia-related Sanctions may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Below OFAC has issued guidance and statements on specific licensing policies as they relate to the Ukraine-related Sanctions.
- Licenses for Legal Fees and Costs - Guidance on the Release of Limited Amounts of Blocked Funds for Payment of Legal Fees and Costs Incurred in Challenging the Blocking of U.S. Persons in Administrative or Civil Proceedings
- Entities Owned By Blocked Persons - Guidance On Entities Owned By Persons Whose Property And Interests In Property Are Blocked
OFAC issues general licenses in order to authorize activities that would otherwise be prohibited with regard to Ukraine. General licenses allow all US persons to engage in the activity described in the general license without needing to apply for a specific license.
- Ukraine General License Number 1A - Authorizing Certain Transactions Related to Derivatives Prohibited by Directives 1, 2 and 3 Under Executive Order 13662 (issued September 12, 2014)
- Ukraine General License Number 2 - Authorizing Certain Activities Prohibited by Directive 4 under Executive Order 13662 Necessary to Wind Down Operations (issued September 12, 2014)
- Ukraine General License Number 3 - Authorizing Transactions Involving Certain Entities Otherwise Prohibited by Directive 1 under Executive Order 13662 (October 6, 2014)
- Ukraine General License Number 4 - Authorizing the Exportation or Reexportation of Agricultural Commodities, Medicine, Medical Supplies, and Replacement Parts (December 19, 2014)
- List of Medical Supplies Authorized under Ukraine General License Number 4
- Ukraine General License Number 5 - Authorizing Certain Activities Prohibited by Executive Order 13685 of December 19, 2014 Necessary to Wind Down Operations Involving the Crimea Region of Ukraine (December 30, 2014)
- Ukraine General License Number 6 - Noncommercial, Personal Remittances Authorized
- Ukraine General License Number 7 - Operation of Accounts Authorized
- Ukraine General License Number 8 - Transactions Related to Telecommunications and Mail Authorized
- Ukraine General License Number 9 - Exportation of Certain Services and Software Incident to Internet-Based Communications Authorized
Legal Framework for the Ukraine\Russia-related Sanctions
The Ukraine\Russia-related sanctions program represents the implementation of multiple legal authorities. Some of these authorities are in the form of an executive order issued by the President. Other authorities are public laws (statutes) passed by The Congress. These authorities are further codified by OFAC in its regulations which are published the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).
- 13660 - Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine (March 6, 2014)
- 13661 - Blocking Property of Additional Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine (March 17, 2014)
- 13662 - Blocking Property of Additional Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine (March 20, 2014)
- 13685 - Blocking Property of Certain Persons and Prohibiting Certain Transactions with Respect to the Crimea Region of Ukraine (December 19, 2014)
Code of Federal Regulations
Federal Register Notices
- 79 FR 26365-14 - Issuance of regulations to implement Executive Order 13660, Executive Order 13661, and Executive Order 13662