Sign up for Cuba Sanctions e-mail updates.
Changes to the Cuba Sanctions - Frequently Asked Questions
These Frequently Asked Questions provide an overview of OFAC's regulations with regard to the Cuba sanctions. They also highlight what changes have been made to the Cuba Sanctions program as a result of the President's announcement on December 17, 2014.
Sanctions Brochures are an overview of OFAC's regulations with regard to Cuba. These documents are being updated.
Specific Guidance on the Cuba Sanctions
OFAC offers guidance on a variety of subjects related to the Cuba sanctions. Most of this guidance is specific in nature. General guidance on the Cuba sanctions can be found in the Sanctions Brochures section at the top of this page.
Related to Publishing Activities
Related to Travel Transactions
Related to the transfer of claims against Cuba:
OFAC issues interpretive guidance on specific issues related to the sanctions programs it administers. These interpretations of OFAC policy are sometimes published in response to a public request for guidance or may be released proactively by OFAC in order to address a complex topic.
Applying for a Specific OFAC License
It may be in your and the U.S. government’s interest to authorize particular economic activity related to the Cuba sanctions. Certain activities related to the Cuba sanctions may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Visit the link below to apply for an OFAC license.
Guidance on OFAC Licensing Policy
Certain activities related to the Cuba sanctions may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Below OFAC has issued guidance on its licensing policy.
Executive Orders, Statutes, Rules and Regulations Relating to Cuba
The Cuba sanctions program represents the implementation of multiple legal authorities. Some of these authorities are in the form of executive orders issued by the President. Other authorities are public laws (statutes) passed by The Congress. These authorities are further codified by OFAC in its regulations which are published the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Modifications to these regulations are posted in the Federal Register.
- 12854 Implementation of the Cuban Democracy Act (Effective Date - July 4, 1993)
Code of Federal Regulations
Federal Register Notices
- 77 FR 71530-12 - 2012 Amendments to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations
- 76 FR 5072-11 - 2011 Amendments to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations
- 75 FR 10997-10 - Amendments to authorize certain types of exportation
- 74 FR 46000-09 - 2009 Amendments to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations
- 68 FR 14141-03 - 2003 Amendments to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations
- 66 FR 36683-01 - Exports of Agricultural Products, Medicines, and Medical Devices to Cuba, Sudan, Libya, and Iran; Cuba Travel-Related Transactions