|Retired TIGTA Special Agent and IRS Inspector Photographic Identification
Documents noted as DOC require a special plugin. To obtain the free viewer for this format, please visit the Microsoft web site.
On July 22, 2004, Congress passed and the President signed the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 (the "Act"), Pub. L. No. 108-277, 118 Stat. 865 (2004), codified at 18 U.S.C. §§ 926B and 926C. With certain limitations and conditions, the Act exempts active and retired "qualified law enforcement officers" ("qualified LEOs") from state laws and local ordinances prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons.
The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) is authorized to provide photographic identification to retired/retiring TIGTA Special Agents and retired Internal Revenue Service Inspection Service (IRS-IS) Inspectors. This policy is contained in Chapter 200-100, "Issuance of Retired Law Enforcement Photographic Identification [DOC]," of the TIGTA Operations Manual. Questions regarding this policy should be emailed to retiredLEOidentification@tigta.treas.gov.
- Prepare and submit complete application package to TIGTA, Director, Human Resources (address provided below). The application must contain original signatures. Electronic signatures will not be accepted. A complete application package consists of the following documents.
- A signed and dated Application For Retired Law Enforcement Officer Photographic Identification form (Exhibit(200)-100.2);
- A copy of Notification of Personnel Action (Standard Form 50) issued upon retirement; and
- A FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) record check. Instructions for obtaining a copy of your record can be found at http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm.
Please note: Incomplete packages cannot be processed.
- Mail the completed package to:
Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA)
Upon receipt of the above-referenced documents, TIGTA will conduct appropriate checks to ensure that the applicant is qualified to receive retired law enforcement officer photographic identification. If the application is approved, the applicant will be directed to a local TIGTA office to have a digital photograph taken.
Director, Human Resources, Office of Mission Support (OMS)
1125 15th Street, N.W., Suite 700A
Washington, D.C. 20005