C.Douglas Dillon, the 57th Secretary of the Treasury, approved the Treasury Department's official Flag on January 11, 1963. It was first displayed on July 1, 1963.
The Treasury Flag has a background of mintleaf green, upon which there is a shield resting upon an eagle. In its beak, the eagle is holding a scroll containing the words "The Department of the Treasury." The obverse side of the scroll is Old Glory blue with white letters and the reverse side is white with dark gray. In its claws the eagle holds another scroll containing the year of the Department's creation "1789" in white.
The shield background is yellow with brown outlines and yellow-orange shadows. There is an oak branch on the right side and an olive branch on the left. It also contains a blue chevron crested by 13 white stars (to represent the original thirteen states). Beneath the chevron is the traditional Treasury key (the emblem of official authority) in white. Above the chevron appears the balancing scales (representing justice) in white pivoting upon a blue anchor.