Resource Center

Insurance & Other Benefits

I have found an old policy belonging to a relative. It was issued under the Treasury Department (or War Department) Beneficial Association. How do I receive the benefits that I may be entitled to under this policy?

The Treasury (or War) Department Beneficial Association is no longer in existence, and we have been unable to identify a specific government office that succeeded it in processing claims. The underwriter of these policies was the Shenandoah Life Insurance Company. A representative of that company has advised us that they currently administer the policies.

We would suggest that you contact The Beneficial Association, Shenandoah Life Insurance Company, Post Office Box 13286, Roanoke, VA 24032. You should send any pertinent documents you may have to help speed up your claim. 

I have found an insurance policy from the Bureau of War Risk. How do I obtain any benefits that I may be entitled to?

The Bureau of War Risk Insurance was established in 1914. War Risk Insurance policies were term contracts that were renewable each year. The accounts were referred to as "T" certificates. The "T" certificates ceased to be in effect on July 2, 1927. At that time veterans with "T" certificates had to convert them to a United States Government Life Insurance (USGLI) policy. The USGLI policy was referred to as a "K" policy. Many veterans allowed their "T" certificates to lapse after they left service during World War I or they did not convert them to a "K" policy in 1927.

At this time, the Department of Veterans Affairs responds to questions concerning these accounts. If you have any questions concerning a "T" certificate, you should write to the Department of Veterans Affairs Insurance Center, Post Office Box 7208, Philadelphia, PA 19101. Any request should include a copy of the War Risk Insurance policy certificate. You may also call the Insurance Center, toll free, at 1-800-669-8477.

I have found papers that were issued under the Postal Savings System. How can I redeem them?

On July 13, 1984, P.L. 98-359, the " Postal Savings System Statute of Limitations Act," became law. It established a one-year limitation on the filing of claims for unpaid accounts formerly maintained in the Postal Savings System. The law did not provide for any exceptions. The Treasury Department attempted to notify all depositors by letter about the limitations for filing claims. Additionally, all Members of Congress received a news release dated July 23, 1984, and the news media received another news release dated April 13, 1985. The Postal Service issued bulletins when the legislation became law, and posted them in all Post Offices.

Based on the end of the program, the Postal Service destroyed all records. As a result, it is impossible to validate any claims now. Possession of a Postal Savings System certificate does not necessarily support a claim. This is because the Postal Service paid many claims based on certification by the depositor that the certificate was lost, misplaced, or destroyed, and they received no previous payment.

Last Updated: 12/5/2010 9:41 AM