Sign up for Burma Sanctions e-mail updates.
Sanctions Brochures are an overview of OFAC's regulations with regard to the Burma sanctions. They are useful quick reference tools.
Frequently Asked Questions
OFAC has compiled hundreds of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about its sanctions programs and related policies. The links below send the user to specific FAQs on Burma as well as the entire list of OFAC's FAQs.
OFAC issues interpretive guidance on specific issues related to the sanctions programs it administers. These interpretations of OFAC policy are sometimes published in response to a public request for guidance or may be released proactively by OFAC in order to address a complex topic.
Applying for a Specific OFAC License
It may be in your and the U.S. government’s interest to authorize particular economic activity related to the Burma sanctions. Certain activities related to the Burma sanctions may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Visit the link below to apply for an OFAC license.
OFAC issues general licenses in order to authorize activities that would otherwise be prohibited with regard to the Burma. General licenses allow all US persons to engage in the activity described in the general license without needing to apply for a specific license.
Guidance on OFAC Licensing Policy
Certain activities related to the Burma sanctions may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Below OFAC has issued guidance and statements on specific licensing policies as they relate to Burma.
- Licenses for Legal Fees and Costs - Guidance on the Release of Limited Amounts of Blocked Funds for Payment of Legal Fees and Costs Incurred in Challenging the Blocking of U.S. Persons in Administrative or Civil Proceedings
- Entities Owned By Blocked Persons - Guidance On Entities Owned By Persons Whose Property And Interests In Property Are Blocked
Executive Orders, Statutes, Rules and Regulations Relating to Burma
The Burma sanctions program represents the implementation of multiple legal authorities. Some of these authorities are in the form of executive orders issued by the President. Other authorities are public laws (statutes) passed by The Congress. These authorities are further codified by OFAC in its regulations which are published the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Modifications to these regulations are posted in the Federal Register.
- 13651 - Prohibiting Certain Imports of Burmese Jadeite and Rubies (Effective Date - August 7, 2013)
- 13619 Executive Order Blocking Property of Persons Threatening the Peace, Security, or Stability Of Burma (Effective Date - July 11, 2012)
- 13464 Blocking Property And Prohibiting Certain Transactions Related To Burma (Effective Date - May 1, 2008)
- 13448 Blocking Property and Prohibiting Certain Transactions Related to Burma (Effective Date - October 19, 2007)
- 13310 Blocking Property of the Government of Burma and Prohibiting Certain Transactions (Effective Date - July 29, 2003)
- 13047 Prohibiting New Investment in Burma (Effective Date - May 21, 1997)
- Burma Freedom and Democracy Act of 2003, PL 108-61 (50 U.S.C. § 1701 note)(as originally enacted, without subsequent amendments, including by the JADE Act)
- International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1701-1706
- National Emergencies Act (NEA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1601-1651
- Section 570 of the Foreign Operations, Export Financing, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 1997, PL 104-208, §§ 570
- Tom Lantos Block Burmese Jade (Junta's Anti-Democratic Efforts) Act Of 2008, PL 110-286 (50 U.S.C. § 1701 note)
Code of Federal Regulations
Federal Register Notices
- 81 FR 31169-01 - Amending the Burmese Sanctions Regulations to add and incorporate general licenses
- 79 FR 37106-14 - Amending and reissuing in their entirety the Burmese Sanctions Regulations, 31 C.F.R. part 537
- 72 FR 50047-07 - Revision to the general license for certain publishing activities
- 72 FR 34376-07 - Amendment related to the issuance of specific licenses for the importation of animals and specimens
- 70 FR 48240-05 - Burmese Sanctions Regulations