Sign up for Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions e-mail updates.
Sanctions Brochures and Lists of Narcotics Traffickers
Sanctions Brochures are an overview of OFAC's regulations with regard to the Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions. They are useful quick reference tools.
Frequently Asked Questions
OFAC has compiled hundreds of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about its sanctions programs and related policies. The link below sends the user to the entire list of OFAC's FAQs.
OFAC issues interpretive guidance on specific issues related to the sanctions programs it administers. These interpretations of OFAC policy are sometimes published in response to a public request for guidance or may be released proactively by OFAC in order to address a complex topic.
Applying for a Specific OFAC License
It may be in your and the U.S. government’s interest to authorize particular economic activity related to Iran. Certain activities related to Iran may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Visit the link below to apply for an OFAC license.
OFAC issues general licenses in order to authorize activities that would otherwise be prohibited with regard to the Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions. General licenses allow all US persons to engage in the activity described in the general license without needing to apply for a specific license.
- General License 1A - Authorizing Certain Transactions and Activities to Liquidate and Wind Down Banco Continental, S.A. (December 8, 2015)
- General License 2 - Authorizing Certain Transactions and Activities to Wind Down Operations for the Hotel Operating at Millennium Plaza, Panama (May 5, 2016)
- General License 3 - Authorizing Certain Transactions and Activities Necessary to Maintain Existing Operations of La Estrella and El Siglo Newspapers (May 5, 2016)
- General License 4 - Authorizing Certain Transactions Involving Individuals or Entities Located in the Panamanian Mall, Soho Panama, S.A. (a.k.a. Soho Mall Panama) (May 5, 2016)
- Licencia General 1A - Para Autorizar Ciertas Transacciones y Actividades para Liquidar y Cerrar el Banco Continental, S.A. (8 de diciembre de 2015)
Guidance on OFAC Licensing Policy
Certain activities related to the Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Below OFAC has issued guidance and statements on specific licensing policies as they relate to the Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions.
OFAC occasionally produces reports that demonstrate the impact of economic sanctions. The report below is related to the impact of the Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions.
OFAC releases charts of the players in and structures of Narcotics Trafficking Organizations with its press releases.
2016 Press Charts
2015 Press Charts
Reports to the Congress
OFAC occasionally transmits reports to the Congress regarding the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act.
Executive Orders, Statutes, Rules and Regulations Relating to the Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions
The Counter Narcotics Trafficking Sanctions represent the implementation of multiple legal authorities. Some of these authorities are in the form of executive orders issued by the President. Other authorities are public laws (statutes) passed by The Congress. These authorities are further codified by OFAC in its regulations which are published the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Modifications to these regulations are posted in the Federal Register.
- 12978 Blocking Assets and Prohibiting Transactions With Significant Narcotics Traffickers (Effective Date - October 22, 1995)
Code of Federal Regulations
Federal Register Notices
- 80 FR 29201-15 - Delegation of Functions Under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin
- 71 FR 29251-06 - Revisions to IEEPA made by the Combating Terrorism Financing Act of 2005