Skip to content Skip to footer site map

Navigate Up
Sign In


Lost or Expired Checks - How to Get a Check Reissued

Here are the steps to follow if your Treasury-issued check is lost or expired and you want a reissued check.

Lost Check

  1. Contact the paying agency (see the contact info below)
  2. The paying agency will provide you instructions on how to file a claim
  3. File the claim with the paying agency
  4. You can inquire about your claim status by calling (855) 868-0151

Expired Check

  1. Contact the paying agency (see the contact info below)

Paying Agency Contacts

  • Internal Revenue Service (800) 829-1040
  • Social Security Administration (800) 772-1213
  • Defense Finance and Accounting Service for DOD payments (888) 332-7411
  • Department of Veterans Affairs (800) 827-1000
  • Office of Personnel Management (888)767-6738 or (202) 606-0500
  • Railroad Retirement Board (877) 772-5772  TTY (312) 751-4701

More Information on Checks

Visit the Bureau of Fiscal Service (BFS) Checks Claims page. BFS is a bureau of the U.S. Department of the Treasury.



Last Updated: 7/22/2016 4:49 PM

Contact Us

Department of the Treasury
1500 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20220

General Information: (202) 622-2000
Fax: (202) 622-6415
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00am - 5:00pm

Untitled 1
Untitled 1

E-Mail Signup

Sign Up to Receive News src= Sign up to Receive News