Identity Theft and Consumer Fraud

If you believe you have been a victim of identity theft, immediately contact your financial institution and/or your credit card issuer(s) for assistance.  Additionally, you may wish to file a report with your local law enforcement office.  The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has set up a national resource website which provides detailed information to help you deter, detect, and defend against identity theft, as well as learn what to do if your identity is stolen.  Visit the FTC identity theft website.

If you have a complaint concerning fraudulent business transactions committed by a private business entity, these should be reported to the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection.  You may fill out the FTC online complaint form by visiting their official website at and clicking on the �File A Complaint� link.  While the FTC does not resolve individual consumer problems, any information you provide can help their office investigate fraud and can lead to the appropriate law enforcement action.  Alternatively, you may also file a complaint with your local law enforcement authorities and/or your local Better Business Bureau office.

Last Updated: 1/28/2011 2:47 PM